January 2011 marked the beginning of a unique and exciting affiliation agreement between the Canadian Association for Enterostomal Therapy (CAET) and the Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Society (JWOCN). Karen Bruton, RN, BScN, CETN(C) then CAET President and Phyllis Bonham, PhD, MSN, RN, CWOCN, DPNAP, FAAN then President of WOCN welcomed this affiliation by stating, “… we start this exciting journey to advance knowledge and scholarship to benefit the members of both the WOCN Society and the CAET.”
These benefits include:
- Annual subscription in hard copy to all 6 issues of the JWOCN
- Fixed JWOCN subscription pricing for CAET members
- Publishing rights to the CAET Feature Section of JWOCN
- Publishing opportunities in the CAET Feature Section for CAET members
- Manuscript publishing opportunities for CAET members in an internationally renowned nursing research journal which is rated in the top 2 percent of refereed nursing journals indexed in MEDLINE and CINAHL and is accessed through OVID by over 48 countries
CAET and WOCN have recently renewed this agreement to December 2015. This will ensure continued CAET membership benefits and serve to develop CAET’s international presence as leaders in Enterostomal Therapy Nursing specializing in wound, ostomy and continence care by contributing to publications on evidence-based clinical practice, education, research and policy development.
Promote the Canadian Association for Enterostomal Therapy’s presence and membership as a published leader within the Enterostomal Therapy Nursing international community.
Monitoring the strategic and directional plans of the CAET Feature Section to ensure alignment with the mission, vision and values of CAET and JWOCN affiliation agreement:
- Submit 1-2 articles reflecting clinical practice, education, research or policy development for three publications of JWOCN within the timelines as indicated by the CAET- JWOCN affiliation agreement.
Promoting regional contributions from CAET membership and the CAET Executive/Board of Directors for submission to JWOCN:
- Establish direct regional and national communications with membership, regional directors, core program leaders and CAET Board for procuring submissions for publication.
- Establish indirect communications through the LINK and CAET e-blasts promoting and eliciting membership contributions.
- Establish a CAET-JWOCN Connection site on the CAET website to serve as a resource for Editorial Board information, publishing information and for the submission of articles and manuscripts for JWOCN by CAET members.
Determining Canadian content for an international nursing audience through JWOCN:
- Generate a ‘pool’ of articles to ensure timely submission to JWOCN.
- Establish guidelines for articles and manuscripts to facilitate submission by CAET authors in accordance with the JWOCN manuscript guidelines.
- Establish criteria for the selection of articles and manuscripts to ensure a standard of quality appropriate for an international ETN audience.
Evaluating the performance outcomes of the CAET Feature Section annually:
- Review the CAET Feature Section Editorial Board Goals and Objectives annually to determine accuracy, relevance and feasibility and to revise where required.
- Monitor the number of hours per week required to execute the role and functions of the CAET Feature Section Editorial Board
- Participate in collaborative surveys with the CAET Board of Directors and JWOCN to monitor the impact of the CAET-JWOCN affiliation agreement for CAET and WOCN membership.
- Review CAET’s performance as a JWOCN affiliate with JWOCN Editor-in-Chief.
Terms of Reference: CAET JWOCN Feature Section Editorial Board
The CAET Feature Editor Board will serve to advise and facilitate the strategic direction and development of the CAET Feature Section of the Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing (JWOCN) in accordance with the CAET/JWOCN affiliation agreement.
The collective expertise of the Editorial Board will provide stewardship for:
- Monitoring the strategic and directional plans of the CAET Feature Section to ensure alignment with the mission, vision and values of CAET and JWOCN affiliation agreement;
- Promoting regional contributions from CAET membership and the CAET Executive/Board of Directors for submission to JWOCN;
- Determining Canadian content for an international nursing audience through JWOCN;
- Evaluating the performance outcomes of the CAET Feature Section annually.
The membership will consist of:
- CAET Feature Editor
- One (1) CAET member representing the Western, Central and Eastern regions of Canada
- Term 2 years. 2/3 of the membership will step down to encourage new CAET membership and the editor plus one member will remain to maintain continuity.
- The CAET Editorial Board will be accountable to the CAET President and the CAET Executive.
- The CAET Feature Editor will represent and report the activities of the Editorial Board at CAET Board Meetings and as requested by the President.
- The Feature Editor will submit a written report to the CAET Annual and Mid-year Board Reports.
- Meeting Schedule: Monthly or as required at the call of the CAET Editorial Board Chair.
CAET Regional Editorial Board Members:
Canadian Feature Editor : Lina Martins, RN, BScN, MScN, CETN(C), London ON