Skin Health Practice Enrichment Series
New in 2021, the Skin Health – Practice Enrichment Series includes competency based, beginner programs in wound, ostomy and continence, intermediate skills labs and advanced programs. The courses are state of the art, self-paced online programs which are facilitated by a team of CNA certified NSWOCs. Onsite programs are available upon request. Contact the NSWOC through our contact page should you be interested in accessing our onsite education delivered by specialized NSWOCs.
Beginner programs are 6 weeks, self-paced online. Learners will be directed through a series of modules designed to provide foundational knowledge in the areas of wound, ostomy or continence. The courses are unique in that students will have access to virtual mentorship and knowledge consolidation opportunities with our team of CNA certified NSWOCs.
Introduction to Wound Management (Now OPEN!)
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Integumentary System
- Principles of Integumentary System Healing
- General principles of Integumentary / Wound Assessment and Management
- Wound prevention, assessment and management including
- Specific wound aetiologies (prevention, assessment and management):
- Acute and traumatic wounds (example: skin tears, lacerations, minor burns), with a focus on post fall wound care
- Moisture associated skin damage (example: incontinence associated dermatitis, emersion foot)
- Pressure injuries
- Lower limb ulcers
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Surgical wounds
- Skin changes at life’s end
- Wounds not healing in a predicted trajectory
- Collaborative approaches when working with interprofessional teams
Introduction to Ostomy Management (Coming Winter 2022)
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Gastrointestinal and Urinary Systems
- Conditions Leading to Surgical Intervention Resulting in an Ostomy & Surgical Procedures
- Assessment and Management of the Stoma
- Assessment and Management of the Peristomal Skin
- Effective Management of Effluent and Product Selection
- Medication and Nutrition for a Patient with a Stoma
- Psychosocial Care of the Patient with an Ostomy
- An Introduction to Gastrostomies & Jejunostomies
Introduction to Continence Management (Coming Fall 2022)
- Continence as a Health Issue
- Anatomy and Physiology of the urinary and lower gastrointestinal systems
- Factors contributing to incontinence
- Assessment of urinary incontinence
- Assessment of fecal incontinence
- Management of urinary incontinence
- Management of fecal incontinence
- Collaborative approach to incontinence management
- Identification and management of incontinence associated dermatitis
- Quality of life issues related to incontinence
Intermediate and Advanced Programs
Intermediate programs include the Wound, Ostomy & Continence Virtual Skills Labs (coming Winter 2022). Please stay tuned for more information.
Advanced programs include the Advanced Wound Debridement Program (coming Jan 2022). Please stay tuned for more information.
Ready to Apply?
Find the step-by-step application process by clicking the button below.
Questions or Concerns:
Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute
414-35, Allée de Hambourg, Gatineau, Quebec J9J 4J6
Office: Toll free at 1-877-614-1262
Education Program Resources
Foundations in Ostomy Management
Foundations in Wound and Skin Health
Healthcare Professional Associate Membership
$600 Per Course Fee (Academic Tuition):
If accepted into the Skin Health Program, Foundations in Ostomy Management and Foundations in Wound and Skin Healthare $600 respectively.
$90 Healthcare Professional Associate Registration Fee:
All Skin Health Program students must become associate members of Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy & Continence Canada (NSWOCC) by registering as a NSWOCC Healthcare Professional Associate Member during the application process for a fee of $90. This associate membership fee provides access to the discussion forum, a national conference discount, the NSWOCC and more.
Optional $46 JWOCN Subscription:
Students will also have the option of purchasing a subscription to the Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing (JWOCN) for a fee of $46.
$50 Application Fee:
Students will also pay a $50 non-refundable application fee during the application process. Ensure you have all your information readily available prior to starting the application. E.g. contact information of references.
If students are not accepted into the Skin Health program they may contact the program administrator at email@example.com to request a refund for their $90 membership fee.
- 2 required texts approximately $110.00 each
- There may be other texts required at the discretion of the program
The following textbooks are for the indicated courses.You may order your textbooks through the Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute Bookstore: lb.ca/wocinstitute.
Skin Health Program: Wound Care – Foundations of Skin and Wound Management Across the Continuum of Care
- Baranoski, S. & Ayello, E. A. (2016). Wound Care Essentials: Practice Principles 4th Edition. Phildadelphia: Wolters Kluwer
Skin Health Program: Ostomy Management
- Mullen, B. D., & McGinn, K. A. (2008). The ostomy book: Living comfortably with colostomies, ileostomies, and urostomies. Boulder, CO: Bull Pub.