Skin Health Program
The Skin Health Program is continuing education for nurses and allied healthcare professionals which provides the knowledge to support quality patient outcomes through evidenced based practice in wound, ostomy or continence care.
Skin Health Program Vision
Better patient care in wound, ostomy or continence through knowledge acquisition.
- Discover up to date evidence supported theory in wound, ostomy and continence management.
- Understand validated assessment tools.
- Learn to use best practice knowledge to guide treatment.
- Differentiate different wound products and their application.
- Describe the qualities of wound, ostomy and continence leadership in your work place setting.
What to Expect
Join colleagues from across the country in any of these Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute Skin Health Program Courses
- 10 weeks of guided learning supported by Canadian Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence.
- Courses start in February and October
- Please note that during application process for February, choose January as a start date and for the September start date choose October.
- Learn when and where most convenient for you.
- Individualized support and feedback.
- Best practices content from easily available textbooks and journals.
- Course load depends on prior knowledge usually 5 – 10 hours per week.
Start Dates for Our Courses
Please note courses are offered twice per year: fall and winter. Applications and payment must be received 2 weeks prior to course start date. Payment for our Skin Health Program Foundations of Wound Management course you will need to choose the following option: Spotlight on Wound Management Program.
Ready to Apply?
Find the step-by-step application process by clicking the button below.
Questions or Concerns:
Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute
414-35, Allée de Hambourg, Gatineau, Quebec J9J 4J6
Office: Toll free at 1-877-614-1262
Education Program Resources
Who Should Apply?
If you are a Registered Nurse, a Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse or Allied Health Professional working with patients, clients or residents living with a chronic wound, an ostomy or continence challenges, completing one of the Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute Skin Health Program courses will ensure that you have the most up to date, best practice theory to support your care. Choose the course most relevant to your practice and patient needs.
At this time all courses are given in English only.
This is an online course, therefore access to a computer with high-speed Internet connection is necessary and computer literacy is an asset.
- Computer – either a PC or a Mac
- Stable and reasonably fast Internet Connection
- Windows Media Player or equivalent
- QuickTime Media Player
Foundations in Ostomy Management
Foundations in Wound and Skin Health
Healthcare Professional Associate Membership
$600 Per Course Fee (Academic Tuition):
If accepted into the Skin Health Program, Foundations in Ostomy Management and Foundations in Wound and Skin Healthare $600 respectively.
$90 Healthcare Professional Associate Registration Fee:
All Skin Health Program students must become associate members of Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy & Continence Canada (NSWOCC) by registering as a NSWOCC Healthcare Professional Associate Member during the application process for a fee of $90. This associate membership fee provides access to the discussion forum, a national conference discount, the NSWOCC and more.
Optional $46 JWOCN Subscription:
Students will also have the option of purchasing a subscription to the Journal of Wound, Ostomy & Continence Nursing (JWOCN) for a fee of $46.
$50 Application Fee:
Students will also pay a $50 non-refundable application fee during the application process. Ensure you have all your information readily available prior to starting the application. E.g. contact information of references.
If students are not accepted into the Skin Health program they may contact the program administrator at email@example.com to request a refund for their $90 membership fee.
- 2 required texts approximately $110.00 each
- There may be other texts required at the discretion of the program
The following textbooks are for the indicated courses.You may order your textbooks through the Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute Bookstore: lb.ca/wocinstitute.
Skin Health Program: Wound Care – Foundations of Skin and Wound Management Across the Continuum of Care
- Baranoski, S. & Ayello, E. A. (2016). Wound Care Essentials: Practice Principles 4th Edition. Phildadelphia: Wolters Kluwer
Skin Health Program: Ostomy Management
- Mullen, B. D., & McGinn, K. A. (2008). The ostomy book: Living comfortably with colostomies, ileostomies, and urostomies. Boulder, CO: Bull Pub.