Skin Wellness Associate Nurse (SWAN™) Program
The Skin Wellness Associate Nurse (SWAN™) Program is geared towards RPN, LPN and Diploma RNs who want to advance their knowledge in the areas in Wound, Ostomy and Continence. Upon completion they will be eligible to use the SWAN designation.
What is the SWAN™ Program?
The Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence Canada (NSWOCC) Wound, Ostomy and Continence (WOC) Institute, developed the Skin Wellness Associate Nurse (SWAN™) Program in response to the growing need in Canada for healthcare professionals with advanced wound, ostomy and continence knowledge. The NSWOCC and WOC Institute developed the paced online SWAN™ education program as a means to support and empower NSWOCs and improve clinical outcomes by enhancing wound, ostomy and continence care teams. The SWAN™ program prepares non-specialty nurses to provide basic, bedside wound, ostomy and continence care.
Skilled nurses provide optimal patient care.
The goal of the SWAN™ Program is to educate and prepare more skilled wound, ostomy and continence nurses across the spectrum of care (e.g. acute care, long-term care and homecare). Graduates will have an enhanced ability to provide optimal care for individuals with wound, ostomy and continence issues as members of a collaborative NSWOC team. The program is designed to provide non-specialty nurses the ability to provide optimal wound, ostomy and continence care under the direction of the NSWOC, Clinical Nurse Specialist (Wound, Ostomy or Continence) or Physician and to be integral members of the WOC team.
- Two cohorts per year starting in February and August respectively.
- Courses are four (4) months long.
- Integumentary System
- Continence Care
Ready to Apply?
Prior to starting your application please refer to the admission requirements.
We are accepting applications for our Fall 2021 WOC-EP Program, which begins on August 23, 2021. The deadline to apply is August 8, 2021 at 11:59pm EDT.
Education Program Resources
Questions or Concerns:
Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute
414-35, Allée de Hambourg, Gatineau, Quebec J9J 4J6
Office: Toll free at 1-877-614-1262
WOC Student Associate Registration
Course Admin Fee
- May be paid online, and payment by installments can be arranged
NSWOCC WOC Student Associate Membership:
- $146.00 (This will be added to the Ostomy Course Tuition)
- SWAN Students are required to be WOC Student Associate Members which costs $100.00 and to purchase the Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence which costs $46.00. The NSWOCC Membership includes access to the CINAHL Library for literature searches. Membership must be kept up to date for the duration of the program. This can be purchased during the program application and acceptance process. For information on membership please go to https://nswoc.ca/become-a-member/
Course Admin Fee:
NOTICE: The SWAN Program uses the new Core Curriculum Texts produced by the Wound Ostomy Continence Nurses Society. If you have questions please contact the Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute Chair: Dr. Kimberly LeBlanc at email@example.com.
Carmel Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society™ Core Curriculum: Ostomy Management [2E]
Book#: EFMC5 (2022)
McNichol Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society™ Core Curriculum: Wound Management [2E]
Book#: OKQC5 (2022)
Wound, Ostomy & Continence Institute students are able to purchase these books directly from the publisher at a discount. Students are encouraged to purchase their books early, to ensure that they have them at the opening of the course. Students are may go directly to Login Canada and purchase their textbooks at a discount. Please go to lb.ca/wocinstitute
All continence readings will be provided by the WOC Institute
Please check your provincial nursing association for potential funding opportunities!
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Association of New Brunswick Licensed Practical Nurses
- Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Prince Edward Island (CLPNPEI)
- Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers auxiliaires du Québec
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba
- Saskatchewan Association of Licensed Practical Nurses
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta
- British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals